For more than 60 years, TSNE MissionWorks (formerly Third Sector New England) has been a trusted partner to hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community groups, activists, and advocates who are making a difference in their communities, our country, and the world.
The management and consulting services, training programs, and community-based grants and investments we offer are designed to meet the needs of complex and growing organizations by strengthening communication and leadership skills, facilitating learning and strategic thinking, and providing practical and operational support to individuals—all toward the goal of increasing their mission impact. Our ongoing partnerships with foundations, service providers, community groups, nonprofits and thought leaders provide us with opportunities for reflection and learning – which strengthens our own programs and services and provides an opportunity to explore trends in the nonprofit sector.
We continue to deepen our partnerships, expand our programs and resources, evolve to meet the needs of a rapidly changing nonprofit landscape, and pursue excellence in the services we offer to hundreds of mission-driven organizations every year—so together we can create a more just and democratic society. In doing so, we have a longstanding commitment to racial equity and social justice. Our community funding program, The Inclusion Initiative, is well-regarded. There is an opportunity to better integrate current field learning regarding racial equity work into our programs. Internally, there is ongoing work on interracial and intercultural trust and understanding. Enhancing cultural competency, communication and the capacity to work effectively with diverse community-based organizations is a priority.
This position offers an opportunity to work with the team responsible for the payable functions in a dynamic, fast paced collaborative environment. The AP team provides accounting services for 80+ nonprofit organizations (referred to as projects), as well as for TSNE MissionWorks’ internal activities, consulting groups and the Nonprofit Center. As well as being responsible for accounts payable processing functions, the AP team handles related administrative tasks and client inquiries. AP Accountants need to be flexible and skilled at multi-tasking to be successful with the varied and changing demands of the work and client needs. This is an entry level bookkeeping position.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION
No direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Process invoices, purchase orders, reimbursement requests and credit card reconciliations in accordance with TSNE policies;
- Ensure that all payments requests have required substantiation and project approval;
- Enter expense reports and invoices for payment into accounting system.
- Respond to project inquiries relating to AP work;
- File vendor invoices;
- Undertake other tasks that are consistent with the position, as assigned by the Supervisor.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
We will consider exceptional candidates who do not meet the requirements below but otherwise demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described.
- BA/BS degree in accounting or business or equivalent experience required;
- Nonprofit accounting and Concur experience preferred;
- Proficiency using accounting software and Microsoft Office;
- Ability to pick things up quickly;
- Ability to pay close and accurate attention to details;
- Ability to adhere to standard and organizational accounting protocols;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to function independently and work as part of a team;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations;
- Ability to work effectively with people of different cultural backgrounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Talk, hear and see in the normal range with or without correction.
- Use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Move, Traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); reach with hands and arms; occasionally Ascend/Descend; and position self (to), move.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards.
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight.
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
TSNE MissionWorks envisions a society grounded in principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors each individual as a whole person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work. We value the unique talents and contributions of each of our employees.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.