TSNE MissionWorks (TSNE) envisions a society grounded in and guided by principles of social and economic justice where community-based organizations take the leadership role in shaping the country’s future. We act as a nonprofit intermediary that supports nonprofit organizations regionally and nationally.
TSNE provides a range of management and leadership services including training, consulting, financial management, and fiscal sponsorship. As TSNE expands, we have a need to update, integrate, and incorporate technology and data tools into our organizational processes to improve efficiency and to facilitate operational improvements that better support TSNE and the community organizations that utilize our services.
TSNE is seeking a Data & Business Intelligence Director to develop, design, and lead our use of data and data systems. Our ideal Data & Business Intelligence Director will have deep technical and implementation skills—with understanding of data governance strategy and extensive experience with relational database design, data modeling, data integration and profiling, and data analysis. This position will lead the implementation of new data capabilities across the organization and ensure practices support reporting, data collection, and analytical needs.
This position is for you if you:
- Want to be part of a mission or social cause-based organization. Our projects focus on things like community boat building, farm to institution networks, financial transparency, women in software, eradicating youth homelessness, immigrant success, teaching kids to be chefs, public health, keeping childhood commercial free, among others. While you won’t be working directly with these organizations, the work you do will provide support for the work they do;
- Would like to work somewhere that truly has a supportive culture—we’re not just saying it—we make decisions thinking about the whole person. We have a strong belief in, and advocate for, a healthy work-life balance;
- Enjoy being challenged and thinking on your feet. While we’ve been around for a while (since 1959), our organization is, in many ways, entrepreneurial. We’ll want to hear from you about how best to address things as they come up;
- Do whatever it takes—from presenting to executives to sharing a cup of coffee with a receptionist to better understand the impact of changes to those on the front lines. There are approximately 60 staff and we mix it up a lot, whether in the lunchroom, at interdepartmental meetings, or monthly staff updates;
- Like to be part of a team and work with colleagues (sometimes) or leaders (other times) when your work requires it. We definitely like the group process, but value those who are able to think for themselves;
- Like to lead by influence rather than by command;
- Are curious! When you see a problem, you ask questions, seek to understand fundamental drivers and outliers, and work to understand root causes before coming to a solution
- Challenge the status quo and resolve conflict, all while having lunch together;
- Can prioritize competing interests;
- Believe that transparency helps to facilitate ownership, and enjoy sharing information and communicating with others.
Essential Job Functions
Data Governance and Management:
- Lead data governance function across the organization using industry best practices;
- Develop, maintain, and update data governance policies and procedures;
- Drive data standardization and support data owners in following data governance processes ;
- Steward the creation of a data strategy plan representing internal stakeholder interests and incorporate a technology road-map for data management that integrates business needs with cross-functional reporting and KPIs for performance measurement & tracking;
- Create, implement, and manage organizational data and systems integration with attention to data modeling, data mapping, data validation, hierarchy management, and overall security. Provide continuous enhancement and review of matching rules, data quality, and validation processes;
- Maintain data structure and data systems, ensure data quality, and conduct data audits;
- Manage projects to fix data quality issues;
- Compile and provide reports on data governance activities with periodic reassessment of data standards and policies;
- Coordinates efforts to ensure procedures that cross interdepartmental functionality are efficient;
- Engages with significant projects and activities to ensure they are aligned with data governance (i.e. in terms of legal, compliance, organizational data management objectives, data policies, data standards, etc.).
- Develop, maintain, and update the organization’s CRM (Salesforce) data model, ensuring continual alignment with business needs and systems;
- Develop and maintain data communication processes and tools between internal data stakeholders that include customer requirements with particular emphasis on business systems, the data in those systems, and its management and effective use;
- Build a knowledge base for the enterprise-wide data flows and processes around them;
- Architect and implement dashboards that provide visibility regarding the status, progress, and blockers for projects;
- Work with leadership to ensure projects have adequate resources and technical expertise to meet strategic objectives;
- Provide guidance to management and team leaders in decisions regarding BI;
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical and logistical issues.
Core Competencies Required
- Technical and business knowledge of enterprise data management functions and best practices;
- Advanced knowledge of database systems as well as data modelling concepts and its application towards BI efforts:
- Demonstrated proficiency with CRM data systems like Salesforce, Cognos, Veeva, etc.;
- Ability to scope and define data sets needed for specific use cases and identifying data gaps;
- Ability to translate business needs insights into product decisions and work streams;
- Flexibility to handle directional changes and moving priorities to ensure project success.
- Expertise with data management and data distribution tools;
- Demonstrated written/verbal communication skills, problem solving, and analytical skills;
- People-oriented with strong interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Well-organized, methodical with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently but able to take direction in a team environment and interact with staff at all levels;
- Ability to be transparent, supportive, collaborative and diplomatic;
- Strong desire for process improvement;
- A commitment to delivering and showcasing high quality work;
- Experience in leveraging structured project management methodology to lead project teams;
- Experience Level— 8 or more years leading IT projects focused on data management or business processes.
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter stating how their skills and experience match the requirements for this position. TSNE also accepts candidate materials sent by mail, fax or email. Send to: TSNE MissionWorks; NonProfit Center, 7th floor; Attn: HR – 89 South Street; Boston, MA 02111 or Fax: 617.523.2070.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, and veteran or disability status.