New Entry Sustainable Farming Project’s (New Entry) mission is to improve our local and regional food systems by training the next generation of farmers to produce food that is sustainable, nutritious and culturally appropriate and making this food accessible to individuals regardless of age, mobility, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. In doing this work, New Entry provides critical training, career development, and economic opportunity to new farmers. New Entry is a fiscally-sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks.
New Entry Food Hub is a project of New Entry Sustainable Farming Project. Our Food Hub embodies a unique relationship between producers and consumers, which benefits consumers, small-scale limited-resource farmers, local communities, and the environment.
This person will assist in delivery operations of the Food Hub, a local food aggregation facility in Lowell, MA, by supporting transportation of food from farms to the Food Hub and from the Food Hub to customers. Responsibilities include assisting in delivery of a 400 plus member, multi-farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program and as well as variety of wholesale accounts providing fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables to customers around the Boston area. Driving shifts will vary depending on need, but this position is likely to be around 5-6 hours per day, up to three days per week, from June to October.
Essential Job Functions
The candidate will support the Food Hub Coordinator with the following tasks:
- Pickup produce from area farms;
- Deliver CSA shares and other produce orders to 20+ locations per week in the Lowell/Boston area on time and during scheduled pickup windows;
- Work with customers, site coordinators, and volunteers at various pick-up locations to trouble shoot delivery or pickup concerns and communicate issues back to Food Hub team;
- Provide friendly customer service to stakeholders at Pick-up Locations;
- Monitor operational and maintenance needs of delivery vehicle (gas, oil, windshield-wiper fluid) and schedule maintenance;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Clean Driving Record;
- Ability to safely drive 14 foot and 16 foot box trucks in urban settings (narrow streets, tight loading docks, and alleyways);
- Delivery experience loading and unloading boxes;
- Customer service experience;
- Friendly, reliable, high energy level, comfortable, with multi-tasking;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities; tactful, respectful, flexible;
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment;
- Self-motivated and directed;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with on-call availability Tuesday-Thursday;
- Access to reliable private transportation to reach Food Hub required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Experience handling produce preferred;
- Previous experience in commercial farming or wholesaling preferred;
- Experience driving a box truck in an urban setting preferred;
- Cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Ability to perform varied and repetitive warehouse tasks including manual lifting of boxes between 25 – 50 pounds, in conditions that vary from hot and humid, to cold and wet, and up and down stairs and in an out of box trucks with no lift gates;
- Ability to work varied hours, including some evenings and weekends;
- Valid driver’s license and a clean Motor Vehicle Record; Commercial Driver’s License is preferred.
The pay for this position is $16.00 per hour.
We strongly encourage online applications. Please attach your resume and a cover letter.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
TSNE MissionWorks envisions a society grounded in principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors each individual as a whole person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work. We value the unique talents and contributions of each of our employees.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other factor prohibited by law.