Are you a long-time leader considering departure?
Uncertain how to prepare your organization for what’s next?
You are not alone.
In our recent study on nonprofit leadership in New England, we found that 64% of leaders plan to leave their position in the next five years and 60% have no succession plan.
Third Sector New England’s Courage in Leading supports long-time leaders to prepare their organizations and themselves for their departure and ensure ongoing sustainability. Participants will engage in thoughtful and strategic discussions and exercises about leadership transitions, both personal and organizational. The program features two intensive retreats, individual coaching and an ongoing learning network of long time leaders.
“The transition away from my organization will be so much better for me and for my organization because of what I have learned in the Courage in Leading program. I can’t imagine facing this significant of a transition without the expert guidance I have received ... and the new friends I have made.”
A leadership transition is a critical moment in the lifecycle of any organization as it brings opportunities for growth and change as well as challenges. For a long time leader, leadership transitions can bring specific challenges as executives explore their legacy, board increase their leadership role, and organizations prepare for change. Courage in Leading will help leaders to depart with strength and grace, and support organizations to prepare for and embrace change.
Participants must be executive directors with long-term experience planning to leave the organization in the next one to five years. All information is confidential. Once you complete the confidential interest form, TSNE will follow-up with a phone call to discuss the program and answer any questions you may have.
- Four-day retreats in two sessions for each cohort. October 5-6, 2016 and December 7-8, 2016 in Ashland, Mass. at the Warren Conference Center.
- Learning network gatherings with alumni
- Executive coaching sessions.
- Cost: $2,000 to $6,000 (sliding scale based on organization budget size).
- Assessment of your organization’s “transition readiness”
- Best practices and tools to prepare for the transition
- Progress on addressing organizational vulnerabilities related to a transition
- Engagement and learning with other long time executive directors
- Motivation to plan and the steps necessary to leave
- Focused leadership related to your upcoming transition
- Celebration of your legacy!
What long-time leaders are saying about the program:
“The program is going to help me as I move through this transition process; it is providing me with tools, resources, support and the knowledge that I am not the only one going through this, and that I do not have to do this alone. I have now built my network and my confidence to take the necessary steps to keep going. This feels like it should be a requirement for any long-time leader making this type of transition.”
“This could have not come at a better time in my life! Thank you!”
“Thank you for providing this space for us to explore the next chapter.”