TSNE MissionWorks (formerly Third Sector New England) is a management support organization that partners every year with hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. Our mission is to provide information and services to build the knowledge, power, and effectiveness of individuals, organizations, and groups that engage people in community and public life. The ultimate intention of our work is to create a more just and democratic society.
We assist a wide range of organizations in the social sector with a mix of management support and capacity building services in consulting, financial and grants management, business administration, human resources, compensation and benefits administration, professional development training and research in nonprofit fields of practice.
As a leading voice and capacity builder in the nonprofit sector, TSNE MissionWorks is committed to learning and building our practices and values around diversity, inclusion and equity, and working in a culturally proficient way with our staff and the organizations and communities we serve. We actively cultivate a work environment that values the experiences of individuals in an open-minded and collaborative atmosphere.
Overview of the Learning Lab
TSNE MissionWorks’ Learning Lab initiative will include a diverse group of community-based learning partners, research staff, and TSNE MissionWorks staff. The initiative’s primary purposes are to a) help TSNE MissionWorks develop its social impact investing strategy and b) to inform the organization’s upcoming strategic planning process. TSNE MissionWorks’ Learning Lab initiative will include collective analysis sessions, design thinking sessions, site-visits to partner capacity-building organizations, and other key activities. The Learning Lab initiative will last from September 2018-December 2020.
Overview of the Learning Lab Coordinator Position
The Learning Lab Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of TSNE MissionWorks’ Learning Lab initiative. This person will serve as the initiative’s project manager who will ensure that the learning lab achieves its goals in accordance to timeline and budgetary parameters. Additional responsibilities include informing key stakeholders about upcoming deadlines and deliverables, thereby ensuring smooth completion of work responsibilities. They will assist the Director of Learning and Evaluation in conducting collective analysis sessions, leading design thinking sessions, and supporting the key stakeholders so that they can fully participate in the initiative.
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION
No direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conduct the day-to-day management of the Learning Lab initiative ensuring the timely implementation of activities and completion of the deliverables and outcomes;
- Oversee overall project implementation in accordance to the initiative’s goals, timeline, and budgetary parameters;
- Develop and maintain project timeline and schedule of activities to ensure that the Learning Lab initiative meets all outcomes and deliverables;
- Develop and strengthen internal and external partnerships; manage relationships with key stakeholders including TSNE MissionWorks, research staff, and community-based learning partners;
- Coordinate and co-facilitate collective analysis sessions with key stakeholders in order to review research and collectively identify key learnings;
- Conduct design thinking sessions with TSNE MissionWorks staff and community-based learning partners to develop programming prototypes and possible new service lines;
- Facilitate site-visits, interviews, and other gatherings as needed;
- Travel to partner sites as necessary;
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation;
- Facilitate peer-to-peer communication and collaboration.
- Assist the Director of Learning and Evaluation with the creation of an “as-is” map of TSNE MissionWorks' existing capacity-building service and models by focus area, intervention types and delivery models;
- Conduct an analysis of TSNE MissionWorks' current clients by mission focus, budget size, and other key elements;
- Support the research partner in conducting comprehensive quantitative and qualitative research, interviews with partner capacity-building organizations, and other related research work.
Communication and Reporting
- Provide regular updates of the initiative’s progress and activities to all relevant parties; work with the Director of Learning and Evaluation to share ongoing key learnings with board members, senior leaders, and the strategic planning committee;
- Assist the Director of Communications and the research partner in writing reports, publications, and other written products;
- Assist the Director of Learning and Evaluation in documenting a set of strategic questions and recommendations for the TSNE MissionWorks key learnings, findings and recommendations;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Learning and Evaluation.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
We will consider exceptional candidates who do not meet the requirements below but otherwise demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described.
- Prior experience in providing capacity-building services or technical assistance supports to nonprofits required;
- Experience working with or in under-resourced nonprofits or organizations that explicitly serve under-resourced communities;
- Prior experience with leading a design thinking process necessary;
- Strong research skills and the ability to gather, analyze, synthesize, and communicate information from various sources;
- Strong writing skills;
- A minimum of 4 years of project management experience or strong experience developing and implementing time-bound strategic initiatives;
- Prior experience in delegating tasks to project staff, establishing deadlines, and providing feedback, and regularly reporting on the progress of the initiative to organization’s leadership;
- Highly effective time-management, goal-setting, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Strong public speaking and group facilitation skills;
- Excellent listening, writing, and speaking skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment; strong awareness to intercultural effectiveness and relations;
- A natural team leader with exceptional interpersonal, diplomatic and communication skills;
- Resilience and ability to think clearly and rationally in stressful situations in a constantly evolving environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Talk, hear and see in the normal range with or without correction;
- Use hands or fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Move, Traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); reach with hands and arms; occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to), move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
We strongly encourage online applicants. Please submit your resume and cover letter below.
TSNE MissionWorks envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.