Ada Developers Academy (ADA), a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks, is an intensive developer training program for women with little or no prior software development experience. In one year, students are taught programming techniques and best practices to enable them to become junior developers. The program consists of two distinct parts, six months in the classroom, and five months of internship at local sponsor companies, where students refine their skills working on real-world code.
The Marketing and Communications Director supports the organization in the strategic branding, marketing, and positioning of ADA Developers Academy. In addition, this position drives day-to-day management of online student retention, alumni cultivation, academic offerings, and donor programs. The Director leads and collaborates on all aspects of the organization’s marketing and communications strategies, with primary responsibility for overseeing and coordinating all external communications designed to promote ADA and the achievement of its goals. The Director reports to and works closely with the Executive Director to help gain increased visibility for ADA’s unique consultations, trainings, services, and programs.
This role will work closely with the Executive Director to determine success metrics and KPIs for the Core Accountabilities and will provide data-driven, relevant reports that show the progress and results of each key effort.
The Director will partner with staff, agencies, and vendors as needed to execute deliverables in each of the core accountabilities. Throughout all responsibilities, the Director maintains collaborative, productive relationships within and outside of the organization and demonstrates high-level organization and management skills in order to focus simultaneously on the strategic and operational issues necessary to drive the work to successful completion.
Essential Job Functions
- Review materials and ADA’s history and apply core goals from the existing roadmap and define a brand strategy that supports those goals;
- Define value propositions that tie to the business roadmap and brand strategy;
- Create and communicate brand use guidelines including nomenclature, color palette, visual elements, typography, and logo use;
- Provide educational opportunities for staff to contribute to the brand strategy;
- Identify where and how different audiences encounter and experience the brand;
- Audit the brand experience by key targets and create optimal experience paths, including website UX, social media interactions, events and presentations, and outbound communications such as email, support, and donor interactions.
- Responsible for ADA Developers Academy’s digital profile across multiple channels including the website, appropriate social channels, and ADA’s presence on appropriate media channels;
- Responsible for the development and implementation of an omni-channel communications framework;
- Develop a suite of marketing campaigns that tie to the organizational roadmap and brand strategy;
- Partner with internal thought leaders to promote their content;
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar and work with internal resources to produce content that supports ADA’s mission and brand;
- Develop and steward a social media strategy as one arm of the communications framework;
- Cultivate sponsorship-partnership opportunities that tie to the organizational roadmap and assist the mission;
- Proactively identify Thought Leadership opportunities for staff to pursue and assist with collateral and other tools to promote speaking and other public opportunities to showcase the mission of ADA;
- Cultivate public relations opportunities and create goodwill content that supports the ADA brand and mission;
- Develop and deploy a PPC campaign strategy that drives brand awareness and encourages sponsorship and enrollments;
- Create on-brand collateral and other marketing tools staff can use to meet the mission and business roadmap;
- Create an email flow for each step in the student, sponsor and donor journeys;
- Manage the CMS and CRM and other tools to create automated communications where appropriate;
- Manage reporting and analysis of performance across owned channels to drive decisions that will incrementally impact each channel accordingly;
- In accordance with recruiting and enrollment plans, execute relationship-building strategy with prospective students, organizations and communities designed to build diverse enrollment pipelines that meet or exceed volume and quality and mission targets;
- Develop and activate a strategy for building connections to organizations and communities to build awareness of programs and provide them with the tools and information to encourage their participants to choose ADA as an avenue to pursue a career in software development and the technology industry;
- Plan and execute on- and off-campus events such as prospective student information sessions, sample classes, and other programs that promote ADA and our mission. Represent ADA’s programs at industry and association events with the goal of raising awareness of assigned programs;
- Work with ADA staff to identify marketing initiatives to increase visibility of programs and encourage applications. Assist in the development of content for social media platforms, blogs, and program websites to drive engagement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, marketing, communications or a related field;
- 10+ years of marketing experience in digital or traditional marketing;
- Experience with partner cultivation, lead generation, and promotional campaigns;
- Experience in a cross-functional environment, managing multiple critical tasks;
- Ability to grasp complex measurement and attribution concepts to grow programs most effectively;
- Experience with reporting and analyzing data with the ability to communicate and relate to individuals;
- Proven knowledge to proactively seek growth across relevant verticals;
- Experience taking direction and executing directives, treating every initiative as an opportunity to develop the organization;
- General knowledge of the higher education sector is preferred;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as the organization and student needs dictate including evenings and weekends;
- Strong organizational management skills; ability to develop work plans, handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to maintain a calm, efficient, and good-humored approach to working in a fast-paced, highly productive environment;
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with people from historically marginalized communities (e.g., communities of color, Tribal and Native communities, poor people, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQ communities, etc.);
- Ability to mediate differences of opinion, to think critically and with foresight, to carry out assignments with limited direction, adapt to change, and be nimble and flexible;
- Enthusiastic support of ADA’s mission and the ability to champion it at many different levels.
We strongly encourage people of color and others, who will bring a strong commitment to, and previous success, supporting populations of diverse cultural perspectives to apply.
We strongly encourage online applications. Please attach your resume and a cover letter.
We also accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks/Ada Developers Academy will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, and veteran or disability status.