Third Sector New England (TSNE) provides management and leadership resources to help nonprofits support healthy, just communities. With a staff of dedicated nonprofit professionals, TSNE is an effective fiscal sponsor, convener, consultant and grant-maker, offering a unique blend of capacity-building programs and services focused on strengthening nonprofits for a deeper impact on the communities they serve.
The TSNE Fiscal Sponsorship (FS) program offers solutions to foundations, nonprofit groups, networks and coalitions by providing management support services to programs, so that staff can focus on their mission and program goals. Comprehensive fiscal sponsorship offers a home for both unincorporated and incorporated groups working for social justice. These agents of change work on the pertinent issues of our day including food security, alternative education, health access and criminal justice reform.
This position will manage the accounts payable function and team in a dynamic, fast-paced, team-based environment. The AP team provides accounting services for approximately 70 fiscally sponsored nonprofit organizations (projects) across the country. The AP Manager must have flexibility and skill in managing multiple staff and processes to be successful with a wide variety of project demands and needs.
Essential Job Functions
- Hold the responsibility and accountability for all activities within the accounts payable function;
- Supervise, train, and evaluate AP staff;
- Develop, implement, improve, standardize, automate and maintain AP systems, procedures and policies relating to AP functions;
- Monitor & ensure timely payments of vendor invoices and expense reimbursements;
- Monitor & ensure accurate and timely processing of purchase orders;
- Manage corporate credit cards;
- Review large AP transactions to insure documentation is in accordance with policies;
- Review applicable accounting reports and the accounts payable register to ensure accuracy;
- Audit AP to ensure payments have the required substantiation and approvals;
- Verify that payments comply with contractual terms, are allowable under terms of grants and awards, and do not exceed the project budget;
- Monitor outstanding checks;
- Insure unclaimed property is remitted to appropriate states;
- Provide audit support and respond to AP related queries;
- Train FS projects and staff on systems and policies relating to the payable cycle.
- Monitor and advise staff in the preparation of journal entries;
- Help document and implement Concur payment software;
- Ensure collection of sales tax and remittance to the appropriate states;
- Provide direct service to FS projects as needed;
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned by the Controller.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience performing and/or managing accounts payable;
- A BA/BS degree in accounting or business, or equivalent experience is required;
- Supervisory experience required; 3+ years is desired;
- Nonprofit accounting experience is required;
- Familiarity with FASB, GAAP and Federal Uniform Guidance is desired;
- Must be knowledgeable of IRS requirements as well as have 1099 filing experience;
- Experience writing process instructions for internal staff is a plus;
- Proficiency using large ERP systems and spreadsheets;
- Experience with Concur, Salesforce and Serenic is desired,
- Ability to pay close and accurate attention to detail;
- Ability to adhere to standard and organizational accounting protocols;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to function independently and, to work as part of a team;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations;
- Ability to work effectively with people of different cultural backgrounds.
Salary commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is included.
We strongly encourage online applications. Please include a resume and cover letter.
We do accept applications by mail or fax. Send to:
Third Sector New England
NonProfit Center, 7th floor
Attn: HR–89 South Street
Boston, MA 02111
Or Fax: 617.523.2070
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identification, and veteran or disability status.